Wednesday 23 February 2011

An occasional dose of culture. Rob Ryan's paper cutting.

Now there are two types of art lovers, those who have overly refined, snobby exclusive taste where art is elitist, inaccessible and hard work. I am proud to say that I don't by any means fall into this group, quite the opposite! I like art that touches something deep in me, that amazes me by it's prowess, that catches me by surprise. I don't care if it's 'craft' or 'illustration,' or 'crochet.' If it's the original expression of a creative mind then I will either respond to it or not. Some of my culture submissions have been criticized as being not cultured enough, so what the hell does that mean? And why should I care? I shall continue to post work that elicits a reaction in me and that compels me to share it with others, those who disapprove can by all means leave a comment, register their distaste or just go elsewhere.

Rob Ryan's studio
Now, to my featured artist, Rob Ryan. Ryan is a printmaking graduate from my alma mater the Royal College Of Art. His Paper cuttings vary from tiny to huge, they are intricate, wordy and fantastic. Each one starts as a pencil drawing that is cut out (usually by hand) then sprayed with colour. Some of them rather than cut become silkscreen prints. But however they are made, I think they are beautiful, and I think a lot of you would enjoy them. There is a book of his work available called 'This is for you' which displays his talent more fully than I can on this short post. I'd love to hear some opinions from you out there, you at the back...wake up and pay attention!




4 comments:

  1. This is NOT art! This is hobby crap masquerading as real art!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the art police have spoken! I'd take this 'hobby art' any day over the innumerable painters out there that have homogenised their work into a great big orgy of self-conscious, fashion fed delusions and grandiose notions of self-importance.
    Just because it doesn't have to be appreciated through the accompanying unintelligible art jargon doesn't make it less. You might not like it but that doesn't make it 'not art.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I like it! And I think Ryan, like anyone trying to express an idea, thought or story, should be able to use any medium he chooses. Would his work have more validity if he'd used a jellied shark or a chopped up shed/boat/shed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see vision, dedication, and exacting work. Beautiful and expressive pieces. This is art I would be pleased to hang in my home. Would love to see the finished piece the girls above are working on, and future projects from this artist. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...