Friday 1 April 2011

A new moleskine March 2011


So much of my work reaches back to my childhood, I feel a great need to give a voice to my 5 year old self. At the age of five I was a master at reading people and behaving in a way that would save me from trouble. My antennas were on constant alert, it was exhausting, but it was a survival mechanism. As an adult I am free to say whatever I want but why then do I still feel afraid?

I used to fantasize as a child about having superpowers, I was convinced there was a way to acquire them, all I had to do was wait for a sign. It is obvious now that these fantasies stemmed from a deep sense of powerlessness and frustration. Ok, enough with the amateur psychiatry, the less said the better.
I am posting a couple of pages from my new sketchbook. There is not much to say as they are pretty clear.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Seeing your fantastic work I think you have superpowers! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patricia, your comment almost brought tears to my eyes, I realise that sometimes more is revealed in our work than we are comfortable with, but that is part of having the nerve to expose something of yourself and connect with others. Does that even make any sense? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all need to "connect" with others somehow. Wrestling with this fact, that makes not sense for me... Bunny, I also still dream of having superpowers (and even concentrate on it when troubles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we all have superpowers Patricia, that we don't know we have until we are faced with difficulties. that is when true character shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work and Thanks to PM for pointing you out = Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - not sure where you are but saw you were looking into moleskins - this is where we get ours:

    http://www.moleskines.com/moleskine-cahier-journals.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...