Sunday 22 June 2014

Moleskine Pages- She Knew

She knew he knew. She liked knowing he knew. She spent so much time re papering the inside of her head she didn't hear his pain, that was a relief.

Dilemma
I was advised recently by an art critic that removing text from my work would make it more powerful. He offered his tips (I didn't ask for them!) generously and without prejudice. Work should speak for it's self and I should stop trying to control the narrative. I can see what he is saying. I only use text in my sketchbook and not on 'stand alone' pieces. But this has got me thinking. I do tend to work instinctively and the words are meant to illuminate not dominate. If any of you read this far I'd love to hear other opinions. Are the words a distraction?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...